7 Tips To Consider Before De-Coupling
Saturday Mar 20th, 2021Share
It has been a tough year for many couples. If you’re thinking about getting a divorce, here are 7 quick tips you should consider:
- What’s your plan? - Are you going to stay or sell your current home? Will you be rent or buy?
- Get independent legal advice ~ Determine how much equity you’re entitled to and know your debt responsibilities before taking any next steps
- Contact your lender ~ There may have penalties to break your existing mortgage. You should understand what these are
- Check your credit - Contact Equifax or TransUnion to ensure your credit is strong enough to satisfy minimum lending requirements
- Speak to a Mortgage Agent ~ A Mortgage Agent can pre-qualify and let you know how much home you can afford
- Speak to a Realtor ~ Once you know where you stand financially, a Realtor can assist you with finding a home
- Protect your credit – Cancel all joint credit cards and lines of credit to protect your credit during this process
This is not a complete list. The most important thing to do is to speak to your legal advisor and your partner during this process. You will not be able to sell your home without complete agreement
Being a licensed Mortgage Agent& Realtor, I’m in a unique position to conveniently help with you with your mortgage, give experienced credit advice, pre-qualify you and help you find a home.